Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Motherfucking tucked.

Been busy.  Doing the social stuff.  Being the social person.
On Sunday Michael and I headed out to our old stomping ground of Kerrisdale to do an 8k there.  Yes: I actually showed up for this one!  Fah.  We used to do it often since it was in our hood.  Also, the spread at the end (for an 8k, no less) was always awesome and they had kick ass random prizes.
Because I seem to like to have my period for all athletic events, this Sunday was no different.  Wasn't everyone else popping extra strength Motrin before their race?  And when does menopause kick in?
My goal was to break 40 minutes because I thought that's what I usually did back in the day (like, ten years ago).  I came in under 39 minutes, and then Googled my old times and realized I'd never broken 40 minutes before.  So... ten years later, with my period, I have a PB and place second in my age category.  Pretty hilarious.  Michael placed 3rd in his age category.  For a run that we kind of hemmed and hawed about and signed up rather last minute it was fun to take away some hardware.
Afterwards we picked up my mom and went to visit my Nana for lunch.  Her husband broke his hip some time ago and so he has been in respite care (ironically, also in Kerrisdale) and we then all went to visit him.  His son and granddaughter also showed up so it ended up being a bit of a party.  But hey: don't get old.
When we went to leave there was a woman in a wheelchair situated in the foyer.  My grandmother had told me about her: she holds her arms up and she just beseeches for people to touch or hold her.  So we go to exit and there she is, holding her arms up and so my mom goes over and holds her hand for a minute and the lady says "please take me somewhere".
There are some things that you know will stick with you until you die.  This was one of those things.
I hope that she has lots of visitors.
I hope lots of people touch her and hug her every day.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the PB. Who knows maybe you'll find your body is at it's best during that time of the month. Then you'll get used to it and it will come to a screeching halt. Getting old sucks, Jody's dad just turned 82 and is in some kind of competition to be named the Crankiest Bastard of all time. So far, I think he's winning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get old. That's what I've been told! I guess in a few years it will be a non issue. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My period, I mean. My period will be a non issue. I very much hope to live more than a few more years!

      Delete