Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Greyhound's "100% Refundable Tickets" are a total scam

Thinking of booking a refundable ticket with Greyhound?  Don't.  Here's my latest bullshit customer experience.

Greyhound Canada
#700 – 1111 International Blvd.
Burlington, ON  L7L 6W1
Dear Greyhound Canada:
This morning I booked a ticket which was 100% refundable on the Greyhound.ca website.  The ticket was for a trip from Whistler to Vancouver on September 11th.  Shortly after booking I learned I did not, in fact, need the ticket and so I emailed greyhound.nationalcustomerservice@greyhound.com, informed them of this, and inquired what the necessary next steps were to have my card refunded.  I heard nothing back: not even an automated email that my query was being looked into and that someone would respond within a specific time frame.
I investigated further, and found on your website that you require a request in writing, along with a copy of the ticket, and so I sent a second email, this time with my billing confirmation attached, again asking if anything else was needed.  Again, I heard nothing.
I then called your customer service number and spoke with someone who advised me, unbelievably, that I would have to take my ticket to a physical Greyhound station in order to be reimbursed, and it would have to be within a certain period of time before the ticket expired.  I live in North Vancouver and there are no Greyhound Stations here, so this means I would have to commute approximately 90 minutes round trip in order to collect my refund.

I asked to speak to this individual’s supervisor, who transferred me to another department where I had to explain the situation a second time and was put on hold repeatedly.  Finally, I was told that an email would not suffice and that I would have to mail a physical copy of the ticket to this address, and then have the pleasure of waiting six to eight weeks for a refund.
This whole experience ranks as one of the worst customer service experiences that I have had in my life.  Not only did your CSRs give conflicting information, but it took me approximately half an hour of being transferred and put on hold before someone was able to advise the convoluted way in which I can get my $40 back.
I travel quite extensively using different modes of transportation.  I have used Greyhound in the past, but I will never use your company again, and will strongly recommend that my friends and family follow suit.  Additionally, I shall be writing about this experience on social media so that others might avoid this experience.
Finally, I shall be writing the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Information as I believe that Greyhound deliberately makes the refund process so impractical as to dissuade customers from following through.
Attached is my ticket.  I look forward to receiving my refund at your earliest convenience.  My customer # is 2413372.
Sincerely,
Duder

No comments:

Post a Comment