Thursday, March 12, 2015

So today was fun.

Bridal shower for G (we don't just wear tiaras for no reason)
I gave my two weeks today.  I've been with my current employer for over six years (well, five if you take into account the one year leave of absence), and that's the longest that I've ever stayed anywhere.  Somewhere around the four year mark I tend to get a bit squirrelly and leave.  Not entirely sure why: boredom?  Complacency?  A fresh change of scenery?
Anyways, I've always wanted to work for a charity or a non profit organization, and a job came up with a charitable foundation that is actually four blocks from where I live.  The pay wasn't great and it was a five day work week, but the man behind the foundation has won the Order of BC, the Order of Canada, an award from the Dalai Lama, and was named Philanthropist of the Year in 2011.  It was definitely a place I could see myself working.
Met with the headhunter who was recruiting for this job and we got along well.  Went for my first interview with the client and they loved me (and really, who wouldn't?).  They wanted me to come back for round two and I said that I would, but would they entertain a four day work week for me?  They said yes.
Interview number two went well.  I met with one of the directors who also seemed to like me.  I bandied about some "must haves" with my recruiter and - pretty painlessly - he came back with a yes for most things.
Whistler Relay.  Thought I might freeze to death.
Long story short I'm taking a pay cut.  There's no pension.  But it's a five or six minute walk to work, it's a four day work week, I get three weeks vacation off the bat (with an option to take a fourth week unpaid), and I get to work for a foundation set up by a guy whose mandate is to improve the lives of children through health and education.
That said, it was hard to turn in my notice today.  Union life has been very strange for me and I can't say that I've ever fully gotten used to it, though I understand the importance and necessity of unions within our economy. 
But I have to say that in my twenty year career, I've never worked with a nicer group of people than the people that I spend 32 hours a week with currently.
It sort of never dawned on me until today how much I enjoy their company and how much I am going to miss them when I'm gone.

2 comments:

  1. I'm SO happy for you. To be able to choose a different path is so rewarding. A path that you know helps people and not just padding some big wig's vacation home. To be helping someone who clearly helps those who can't help themselves. AWESOME! Just two more years for me and I'll be doing the volunteer thing. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's going to be a big change and I really hope I made the right decision. I guess I'll know in a couple of weeks!

    Two more years for you, eh? That's amazing! I hope it flies by. Change isn't always a bad thing and I do think I've gotten a bit complacent...

    ReplyDelete