Friday, March 27, 2015

Six years

So it's been a little over six years that I've been with my current employer.  It's the longest I have stayed anywhere - even when you factor in my year's leave of absence.
Today will be sad.  I am leaving behind a lot of people that I enjoy on a personal basis and that I would be glad to call my friends outside of work.
We had my "farewell" party yesterday, as some people have Fridays as their day off (I"m a Monday girl, myself).  It was nice.  A lot of people came by from other departments to wish me well and I got a barrage of emails.  I always thought I went a little unnoticed, but perhaps I made a bit more of an impact than I thought.
I'll be nervous on Monday, thinking about my Tuesday start date (yep, still with the four day work week).  And on Tuesday I hope I'll at least be able to confirm that I did make the right choice during my seven minute walk home.
I'll have to tighten my belt financially as well.  No more dinners at Tojo's or Luis Vuitton purses.  No more weekend trips to Vegas or betting at the track.  Wait a minute...
Anyways, I'd like to say that this morning started with quiet reflection and sober introspection, but it really started off with me pounding on one of the office doors of our commercial section because some assholes started construction at 6:30am.  How many people can say they were up and had reamed out a labourer and a foreman by 7am.  In their pajamas, no less?
Yeah.  My new coworkers don't know what's coming their way.
I remember a few months into my existing job one of my colleagues turned to me and said "You used to be so quiet".
Ah, the early morning sirens due to traffic accidents have started, so I should head out.

3 comments:

  1. Six years? It seems like just a couple of years ago. I know you started your job, went on leave and traveled Europe with your mom, you ran a couple of races and went back to work and now a year later your are leaving for a cushier job. Time flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I still remember the interview process and the probationary period from this job. And then going on leave. And then coming back. Time does fly. It flies faster and faster all the time.
      I hope you and Jody are doing well. What was with the milk on top of the fridge??

      Delete
  2. Half and half on top of the fridge. Jody was the contractor on the reroofing of our house. He probably drank 3 pots of coffee that day and when I got home he said that he had misplaced 4 or 5 coffee cups. Sure enough I found them all over the garage, the back yard, and the bathroom. I guess roofing a house is harder work than it looks.

    ReplyDelete