Thursday, March 5, 2015

The bitch is back

So, post Boston 2013, I've taken a little time off running.  It was a little bit the bombing, a little bit getting worn down doing two marathons a year, and a bit simply getting sick of seeing the same six, ten, fourteen, twenty mile routes over and over again.
Anyways, I've come back to it as I'm not someone that can ever not run.  It does my head in.  Bad day?  Go for a run.  Contemplative?  Run.  Bored?  Run.  You get the picture.
It's funny having taken almost two years off and then coming back. I love it again.  I'm getting competitive again.  I'm surprising myself doing stupid runner shit again.
Case in point: last weekend Michael took the car to meet a friend for coffee.  I thought it would just be him and his buddy talking about their periods or whatever, but a friend of mine that I haven't seen forever showed up at coffee and Michael texted me to this effect.
I hadn't had breakfast and was still in bed, but within fifteen minutes I  had rolled out of bed, shoveled a piece of toast in my pie hole, pulled on my gear and was on the road running to get to the coffee shop since Michael had the car.
Tonight I didn't stop to get gas (my emergency light was on) and I didn't eat dinner, just so I could could bang out a four mile speed workout on the treadmill immediately after work in order to make 7pm book club.
I like that that part of myself has come back.
In other news: drove my car into a pole and my brother was kind enough to fix it at a massive discount because he feels sorry for me; have a second interview coming up this Monday; have fully booked our trip to the US Southeast in May; and am attending my Nana's 90th birthday next weekend.
We also put new batteries in my Tickle Me Elmo.
It's all about priorities.

6 comments:

  1. She's ba-ack. Vintage Duder. If you get anywhere near Savannah, you have to eat at The Crab Shack on the road between the city and Tybee Island. (www.thecrabshack.com/) Highly recommend the Capt'n Crab's Sampler (for two - more than you can eat). Enjoy the floor show. And the gators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! We are indeed going to Savannah (and Charleston, Athens and Nashville) so we'll try and check it out. Gonna be a cool trip for sure!
      Gators?!

      Delete
  2. You'll LOVE Savannah! It's so pretty. There used to be this awesome breakfast lunch place that's in an old gas station. They even roll up the bay doors when the weather is good. They have an awesome breakfast, you can do without lunch after one. Psst... don't bother going to Paula Dean's place. We stood in line all day only to have Jolea say "mom your mac and cheese is better, who screws up mac and cheese? Paula!" Glad you are running again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and if they are serving gator at that crab shack, get some! It's YUMMMY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had gator. When in Rome, I suppose! I am definitely looking forward to the trip: the pictures look so beautiful!

      Delete
  4. I say that the 'gas station' place USED to be there, it may still be there. Being 1/2 Cajun, I grew up eating all kinds of things that crawled in the mud. When it became popular we were all thinking, what's the big deal. It's kind of a cross between chicken and fish, like rattlesnake or any reptile I guess.

    ReplyDelete