Tuesday, November 11, 2014

FOUR DAY WEEKEND!

A rare place on the water sans multi-million dollar home in West Van.
Both my husband (ha ha: husband) and I booked Monday off work so we could have a four day weekend.  I can't believe what a nice long break it was for us.  And I didn't hella overbook it like I normally do, so I'm still doing a relatively good job of trying to manage and balance my time (even though Michael was like "that was a low key weekend?").
Friday night I went out with R to prematurely celebrate her birthday.  We closed down one restaurant (to be fair: they close at 9pm) and then went to another.  Look us at go, in our thirties no less!  It was a great kick off to the weekend and, as always, it was great to catch up and have some good conversation.
The next day we did a random, rambling walk out to Edgemont and found some interesting, somewhat hidden trails on our way back, eventually popping out (to our surprise) in Mosquito Creek.  I think we ended up walking about 14 kilometres, so that was a decent day's exercise.
Victoria Park.
Caught up with L & L for dinner the next night, and had one of those evenings where you look down at your watch and realize three hours of free-flowing, uninterrupted, informative and interesting conversation has passed.  I love nights like that: walking away a bit enthused and inspired and feeling positive.  We're lucky to have such great friends.
Monday we biked out to Ambleside and then went up the hill to tour around some of the stunningly epic houses up there.  To put into perspective the area in which we were cycling, here is a current listing for a home for $14 million dollars.  Every car that passed us was a high end luxury import of some kind.  I knew West Vancouver was pricey, but good Christ: who are these people, and how is there a whole area of them with multi-million dollar homes and what the hell do they do for a living? And what kind of mortgages do they have?
Anyways, while near the beach we stopped for a break and I almost got a young crow to eat out of my hand.  I was so close.  It was a pretty neat experience.
Today we went to the Remembrance Day ceremony at Victoria Park.  Because of the recent tragedies back east (and the glorious weather) the crowds were epic. It was a beautiful day to pay tribute to all the men and women that have and still dedicate their lives to protecting and ensuring our freedom, and the freedom of others.
Afterwards we headed over to visit with my mom for a couple of hours.  It was a rare, stellar day to be out and about in Vancouver.
I'm very fortunate to have been able to enjoy it, and that Canada is what it is because of the hard work and sacrifice of so many before me. 

1 comment:

  1. I always ask that question, 'what the hell do these people do for a living?' If it's old money, then why the hell didn't their parents use it all, everyone needs to learn a work ethic, their kids included.

    ReplyDelete