Friday, September 5, 2014

Whistler weekend

Michael and I booked today off because Michael is riding in tomorrow's Gran Fondo (doing the Forte distance, I might add) so he wanted time to get prepped for the race, and I had to make it up to Whistler so I can be there at the finish in the morning.
It was a pretty chill day.  I made it up to Whistler at 4pm, went for a run in the trails and got lost (naturally).  Then I wanted to go check out Harajuku for dinner because I was going to take Michael there for his belated birthday dinner tomorrow night, but I wanted to make sure it was decent.  And also I love that they spelled "Whistler" wrong on their website.  And also I love their site, period, because it's bizarre.
Normally when I stay here I stay in the village, but I kind of messed up this time and booked us into a place that's about a 20 minute walk from the village. No biggie: less drunken idiots; free parking; and so far it's much more quiet.
Getting to Harajuku was a bit difficult because I have no sense of direction, and also I was coming at it from a totally different angle than I normally do.  But, because my Crackberry is the shit, I picked up some free wifi along the way and used the map/direction app and it got me to the restaurant.  Score!
The food was great, the ambiance was awesome, the prices were reasonable and the waitresses (who were rather run off their feet) were super friendly.  It was a great find and I hope Michael wants to go back there tomorrow.
So that's the scoop.  The weather is supposed to be stellar tomorrow so I hope Michael has a great 152k ride from Van City to Whistler.  Driving up it today I was like "goddamn, this is one helluva ride".  I'm so insanely proud of him.  He's trained so hard, he's in immaculate shape (to the point where I know I've got to pick it up a couple of notches), and I hope he has a banner ride and is happy with his time (i.e. beats Trevor Linden).
It's weekends and events like this that really make me love my life.  We're so very fortunate to be able to have such an amazing weekend in such a beautiful environment.

2 comments: