Monday, September 1, 2014

And I'm the one that actually suggested the whole thing

Doesn't that look like fun?  Cause it wasn't.  At all.
Woke up today, last day of the long weekend and we decided we would get out and do something outdoorsy.
I had never been to Seymour Mountain before, and that is where Michael does his hill climbs on his road bike, so we decided to go up there and go for a little hike.  The 12.5k drive up there was all the more impressive as Michael explained his training route.  It took a while just to drive it in a car, so I was pretty proud of him for doing the climb four times yesterday.  Talk about a work out.
Anyways, I had picked the Dog Mountain hike since it was only a couple of hours long and it was rated as "easy".
The view was nice, though.
Right.  So whoever wrote that it was "easy" is insane.  It was the most technical trail I have ever done in my life and, as someone who likes being outdoors and enjoys exercise I hated the trail.  It was brutal.  All it was was five kilometres of wet rocks and tree roots.  Normally when a hike says it's going to take four or five hours you know that's a conservative estimate, and this hike was only five kilometres but it took us the full two hours!  It was ridiculous.  I will never do it again and I'm mad I even did it to begin with, let alone have to live with the fact that it was my stupid idea.  Stupid freaking trail.
I must say that the view was spectacular, though.  We could see all of Vancouver, and even all the way out to Boundary Bay.  If the weather would have been better it would have been totally spectacular.  So if you really enjoy super technical trails that must be a goddamn nightmare in the rain, I totally recommend doing this trail just for the view.
The other cool thing that happened was this raven we saw.  It was the biggest raven I've seen in my life.  A woman at the top almost, almost got it to eat out of her hand.  He was a brave one, going so far as to retrieve soggy cookies that some stupid kid had dropped in a puddle.  He was stunningly beautiful.  It was such a treat to be able to get so close to such an amazing animal.
Yeah, then we turned around and went back from whence we came it was even worse going back.  I'm not going to lie: I asked Michael for help several times and even had to slide on my bum.  It was totally idiotic.  It was by no means easy.
So that's my stupid story.
Dog Mountain: don't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment