Monday, September 15, 2014

This crazy life

Yeah.  I don't even know where to start.
Whistler last weekend was awesome and we ended up staying until Monday because we were having such a great time. He had some technical issues during the ride, but still placed 57 out of the 500 that did the Forte distance which included the Cypress hill climb.  He trained hard for this race and was in the best shape I've seen for some time and it paid off with a good time on the race.  It's always nerve wracking waiting for someone at the finish and I was so, so pleased to greet him at the end and see him safe and sound if not a little pissed off about his electronic gearing.
But that was then!  This is now! Michael got tickets for us and my mom to see the Elvis impersonator, Ben Portsmouth at Centennial Theatre.  I'm not a huge Elvis fan so I wasn't super excited about it, but I'm always up for trying new things like racing cars with my brother and geocaching with R tomorrow.
The concert started out rather slow, and eventually I had to change seats with Michael because I was about to get into fisticuffs with the woman next to me as she kept on recording everything on her phone.  I'm not kidding: twice I put my hand on her leg and said "can you please not do this, it's distracting".  The first time she ignored me entirely, and the second time she said "I have to take pictures of this".  When she said that I thought that I would take the phone from her and throw it across the theatre, but I was worried that my throw wasn't too great and I might inadvertently bean someone on the head so I had resigned myself to taking her phone, telling her she was a dumb bitch and that she could have her phone back when the concert was over.
Long story short, for some reason my mom and Michael switched up my seat so I was no longer next to the woman in her early forties with a bad hair dye job and also an unfortunate tattoo who was way too sexually stimulated by the Elvis impersonator and was there with her three girlfriend instead of a significant other.  Go figure!
Fortunately, she abandoned her seat for a fair share of the latter half of the concert in order to get a scarf that the fake Elvis wore momentarily and the wiped his brow with, because this seemed to be a highly viable prize.
I do not joke.  It was creepy.
On the plus side, a woman in her forties was there with her parents and she caught a teddy bear during the  "Teddy Bear" song and gave it to her aged mother which was awesome.  Also, Fake Elvis gave his scarf to a little girl that went up to the stage which was nice.
Creepy middle aged women aside, this guy was good!  At one point I made a comment that he could be an opera singer because he has such amazing pipes - and then he sang opera!  It was kind of crazy.  He also got a standing O for a rendition of "Unchained Melody" which he played the piano on.  It was astounding. The guy has serious talent and we were all trying to figure out what kind of life one can eke out as an Elvis impersonator.
Anyways, if Ben Portmouth is in your neck of the woods, I would say you ought to check him out.

No comments:

Post a Comment