Saturday, August 30, 2014

Danger zone!

Never mind Declan - that is the Corvette I rode in.
Last time I made it out to my brother's Porsche Club race I just rode with him, even though he said I could ask to go with anyone and they wouldn't mind.
Today I got there a bit late, did the circuit with him, and upon exiting the car his friend James pointed at a very expensive looking Corvette and said I should ask him for a spin.  He was the second car in line so I had to get a move on, but I'm shy and not good at asking people for things but the way James was gesticulating and making pained expressions, I felt compelled to go.
I mean really, you grow up and your parents tell you not to get into cars with strangers, and here I am rapping on the passenger side window of a 455HP sports car driven by someone whose name I didn't even know and asking if I can tag along.  Of course the answer was yes.
What a fun kid.
I gotta say that within the first 25 seconds I was regretting my decision.  There is quite a difference between my brother's Toyota from the 70s and this Corvette which I think was a 2012.  And I have driven a lot with my brother and know he is a cautious driver, but I had no idea what this guy's skill level was or what his record was like.  In the meantime, I had basically resigned myself to the fact that the car was going to spin out of control and we were going to go careening through a chain link fence or into the rows of vehicles parked at the other end which are used for training.
Neither happened.  We drifted around some corners, but he was a very good driver and I politely wedged myself in the passenger seat and tried to keep from screaming because I know it irritates my brother when I do that.
Climbing out of the car James asked me how it was.  I think my legs were actually shaking.  It was a ridiculous amount of fun.
Then I jumped back in the car with Jay and we managed to do a 360 or maybe even a 480 since it was really raining at this point, and it was just so much fun.  I can't get over how fast people can get their cars. I wish I knew how to drive a standard so I could get in on it.  Maybe I'll put it on my bucket list.
Then Andrea and Declan showed up and I got to babysit for a moment while Jay took her for a spin and that was that.  Too much fun.  I should have gone out earlier: weather be damned.
Happy long weekend, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. You should try gokart racing. It's fun, 4 inches off the ground, nothing around you, no seat belt, 60+ mph. Exhilarating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No seat belt??!! That sounds scary! I was strapped in pretty good in the Corvette and I was still being thrown around a bit. Yeesh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it bad that I was distracted from reading by Declan and his cute robot jacket? So. Cute. Also, I wish I could have gone to also get tossed around a bit in a Corvette - that looks really fun.

    ReplyDelete