Friday, April 6, 2018

On making big decisions while not even four months sober

Personally, I think I look PDG for a 41 year old drunk with bronchitis.
They told us a lot of things in rehab. Make your bed. Always be with at least two other people (lest you succumb to temptation and have a wild, passionate affair... while tapering off your drug of choice and trying to stay clean). Don't make any big decisions for a year. Don't get over confident. Eat more timbits. It works if you work it, and you're worth it. Yoga is mandatory for the first 28 days. Pee in this cup.
Anyways, on the making big decisions while not even four months sober thing? Mayyyyyybe I shouldn't have quit my job. I mean, I hated the woman I worked with and my boss had issues, but at least I knew what was expected of me, I could walk to work and I made more money. The new job is a shit show. You know how there are always one or two questions you fail to ask in a job interview? Well the question I failed to ask was "has the job been haphazardly managed and is it woefully behind and is the data I will have to work with very inaccurate?". Just didn't tick that particular one off my list. I'm trying not to futurize. I'm three weeks into it. I can leave whenever I want and I have promised myself I won't stay past the probationary period so as not to upset people if I'm not happy, which is how I ended up at my last job for three years. But dude: they have 60 day terms with their vendors, and then they pay most of them by credit card to get another 30 days. Have you ever paid a vendor over 400k on AMEX? I now have.
It really has been a banner past three weeks though, I gotta say. My mom had a hysterectomy and was discharged too soon from the hospital, resulting in my call to 911 (and my first ambulance ride!), subsequent complications and re-admittance to ER. Michael rolled his ankle and had a colonoscopy (they are not related). My aforementioned job change. Instability in my marriage (let's just gloss over that one for now). And oh yeah, I picked up bronchitis while hanging out at VGH with my mom, for the win.
The uptick is that I surprised myself by staying sober. Even a couple of other people in recovery pointed that out to me, so here's to you, kid. Way to not fuck up for once. The last time any modicum of responsibility was placed on me was when I sold my condo. On moving day I literally got pass-out drunk and... passed out. Neat! Hard to move shit when you're, um, not moving.
To sum up, I got a haircut today, so let's just focus on that for now.
Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment