Saturday, July 23, 2016

Day Seven: A down day.

Today was a bit quieter than the rest.  We got up early to catch the free breakfast which was pretty grim.  There wasn't any fruit or yogurt and the "orange juice" tasted like Tang.  All the food was pretty much the same colour.
Afterward we checked out downtown Huntsville which was quaint and fairly busy.  There was also some kind of festival going on which we didn't stick around for.  Huntsville has a lot of murals of paintings that the Group of Seven did, which was always a pleasant surprise whenever we stumbled across one.
The tourist info centre was closed and a nice lady saw the perplexed look on our face and asked what we were looking for.  We weren't exactly sure so we just asked what was worth seeing or doing.  Another guy and his kids came by and got into the conversation and the long and short of it as that in the Muskokas you just hang out in your "cottage" if your're loaded, or you hop in your boat and go somewhere.  Or both.  A lot of people have a lot of money around here.
Then we went to the Lions Lookout for a view of the city, and then popped down to the Heritage Museum where we took a ride on the steam-powered Portage Flyer which was short, but really involved.  We were the oldest people riding the train without kids. One girl got to be the assistant conductor and punch everyone's tickets: it was really cute.
We headed in to Gravenhurst to check out that little town.  Probably the least exciting town we'd been to insofar as the historic downtown was concerned, but it was trying.  We went down to the marina where the new development seems to be going on and saw the Wenonah II steamship.
Additionally, "Rib Fest" was in full swing, so we popped over to see that.  I've never seen anything like it.  I guess it's a rib competition.  As much as Michael wanted to get some chicken or ribs and eat on picnic benches with strangers and then have really sticky hands, I had to kibosh him and we ended up at The Wolff's Den Cafe instead, where I had a salad with smoked salmon, and he had a Hawaii burger.  Our meals were great and it was so nice to sit out on the patio and enjoy a nice breeze coming off the lake.
Popped quickly into Arrowhead Provincial Park in the hopes of catching a sunset, but we were a bit late and too stupid to figure out where the day trip people were supposed to go.
Tomorrow we are heading back to Collingwood for a night and hope to check out some of the places we missed on our trip up here.
In Priv news, somehow my iTunes playlist has imported into my Spotify account.  I discovered today that I can plug the Priv into the Fiat's USB port and play the music I've downloaded into my Spotify account.  So I thought, "Hey, it's a road trip: I am going to download a bunch more music and make a kick ass playlist" and then I was poking around in Spotify and lo, my iTunes playlist is there.  Like, what does my Priv do when I'm sleeping?
I'm sure everyone else is much more technologically advanced than I am and could easily offer up a suggestion for how this happened, but I'm pretty sure it's magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment