Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Day Four: How is this only day four?

Grand Bend.
Today two carloads of us went out to Grand Bend.  I hadn't been to Grand Bend in ten years and when I was there last it was seedy, uninteresting and I can't even remember if I got out of the car or not.
Since then they have made some serious improvements to the beach front: planting dune grass; putting up fences; and gentrifying the main drag itself.  It's much more family friendly and clean now.
That said, it was still unbelievably busy and we had a bit of a tough time finding a space for the seven of us.
The kiddies enjoyed the water, the colour of which reminds me of a Caribbean island, and Michael and I attempted to eat ice cones in 29 degree weather.  We essentially had to shotgun the cones because they were melting so fast.
Came back and had an awesome salmon barbeque and bonded with one of my grand-nieces who was determined to escape the confines of the backyard and run out into the street.  One stand off later (guess who won) and she put up her arms in defeat (while also expressing her wish to be carried) and shortly thereafter I'm watching five minute snippets of every Disney movie loaded onto her iPad, while she tries to explain the premise to me.
Ice cream number two of the day.
At almost three years old she's still a better conversationalist than a surprising number of people I know.
After dinner Michael, our brother in law and I took the kids to get ice cream (yes: more ice cream!) at McD's and we played in the little playground for a bit.  It was pretty fun.
Tomorrow we head out for Owen Sound and Huntsville.  It'll be nice to free up a bed here and give my sister in law a bit of a break.  And it will be fun to explore more of Ontario.
Speaking of exploring Ontario, we drove through a town called Lucan today which houses the a museum about the Black Donnellys, the history of whom is just about the most effed up story I've ever heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment