Saturday, July 16, 2016

Day 1: Koreatown

Waffle and chicken tower.  Delish.
Last night we crashed at my mom's so we could catch an early skytrain to for our 8am flight (the seabus runs just a bit too late in the morning for us to have made it as early as I would have been comfortable with).
Flew WestJet.  Love WestJet.
Took the UP train to Union Station and then the subway to our hotel - pretty seamless.  I can't believe it's been ten years since I've been in Toronto.  I can't even really remember that many details of my last trip here, but you can certainly tell that the building boom here rivals Vancouver.
What.
We're staying on Bloor so we walked past all the tony shops and trendy restaurants on our way to our hotel, chilled out for a bit and then got changed and went to Insomnia for dinner.  It was great.  Michael tried chicken and waffles for the first time and shared some with me and lo, it was very good.  We also had some sort of chocolate mouse cake for dessert that was ridiculously good.
To burn off some calories we ambled around Koreatown for a while and went into some pretty crazy stores.  I really like Koreatown.  It's a little grungy, gay-friendly with an indie vibe and lots of funky looking restaurants - Korean and otherwise.
Since we've been up since about 4:45 this morning we're pretty wiped so we're likely going to call it a night shortly!
More tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back. Wave if you see me - not likely since I'm in a quiet east end residential area, and "quiet" and "residential" probably aren't on your to-do list here in T.O. Oh, and that roaring noise you hear this afternoon is the Indy race down at the lakeshore. Enjoy your vacay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hear the roaring noise. For the longest time I thought it was a rice rocket off in the distance and then it dawned on me.
      Also, weird question to settle an argument: is it pronounced "Spadeena" or "Spadinah"??

      Delete
    2. Both are correct; Spadeena is historical, Spadinah pretty much universally used today. To be pedantically correct, it is "Spadeena" House (from which the road, "Spadinah," gets its name).

      Delete
    3. Yes, I did get a similar answer from someone else who is a long time resident. So people started saying "Spadeena" to humour me. Or make fun of me. Or both.

      Delete
  2. Have fun! I can't even imagine what's going to happen at the Poop Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? And the poop pencil sharpener? I am so confused.

      Delete