Saturday, February 6, 2016

SO TODAY WAS FUN.

I do not love The Bangles.
Started out pretty innocuously.  Michael had to get up earlier than he wanted to get an 8 mile run in before meeting some coworkers for lunch.  I only had to do 5 miles today so lolly gagged a bit.
Got ready for my run, and sure as shit my iPod Shuffle wouldn't work.  To be fair, I bought this thing probably ten years ago so it's fully depreciated and it's like $60 for a new one, but still: this meant a 5 mile run with, like, just me and my thoughts or whatever.  There is a radio down there, and I thought I had it tuned to a decent station, but then The Bangles' "Eternal Flame" came on and some Sarah McLaughlin stuff and it was just all terrible so I'm pretty sure that's why I was two seconds off my race pace.
Showered, ate lunch, then my mom showed up as we had all planned to go to Abbotsford to see my brother and his family.  As we're leaving the lobby the fire alarm goes off.  This happens somewhat regularly so I wasn't too concerned about it.  I especially wasn't concerned about the three firetrucks full of firemen that shortly pulled up.  A neighbour told me it was she that set it off as the bottle of water she was transporting home split open in the elevator, went down the shaft and was affecting the sensors.  Okay: fine.  While this is all going on, my mom and I are waiting for Michael to bring the car up from the garage and it's taking a helluva long time.
Finally I start walking into the building to see where he is at and catch him coming out the front door and... the battery is dead.  Fortunately my mom had BCAA so we got on the horn with them, but it took them about 45 minutes to show up.
Michael hops in the BCAA truck to go jump the car and, while my mom and I are still kicking around I see a woman that recently sold her unit in our building who has been an incredible nightmare for her neighbours and for the council.  She is a drug addict and, for most of her duration here she was living with another addict that would score drugs in our parkade.  They would also hand out keys to their lovely friends so they had access to our building.  Not only could she not pay her monthly strata fees, but she also couldn't pay a recent assessment we had and had to get a second mortgage.  What the circumstances were surrounding her buying this place is simply beyond me.  And she basically left all her shit with us because she couldn't deal with moving it, so possibly that was why she was back.
Anyways, she was a lot of fun to live next to, apparently, having screaming matches with her boyfriend constantly, and losing her keys all the time and buzzing other residents at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning to get let in.
Thank you, baby Jesus, for sending  THREE trucks.
The best was when she kicked her boyfriend out and he tried to get back in my telling our property manager that he had been mugged, which is why he had no keys.  When that failed, he followed a car into the underground parking and then tried to pry a bunch of doors open to get access.  And when that failed, he simply threw a rock through our plate glass lobby door to gain entrance.  Just say no to drugs, kids.
Michael comes out with the car, I text the property manager that Cracky McCrackster is loitering by the end of our driveway.
We make it out to Abbotsford in good time.  Have lots of fun with Declan who is just too cute for words.  Man.  If someone had guaranteed that I would have had a kid like Declan, I would have had a kid.  He's so much fun.  And also better at puzzles than me, which makes me sad.
Coming home there's a wicked accident on the highway with a car upside down in the ditch which is always fun to see, and just tons of emergency vehicles on the road tonight, full stop.  I don't know if it's a full moon or what the deal is, but I was so pleased to get home (not Michael though: he has to work tonight, naturally!).
Walk in the front door and there's our property manager and another council member: the firemen had to come back a second time apparently, as the sensor now appears to be malfunctioning.  So here is our manger trying to get someone to come and fix the sensor on the Saturday night of a long weekend so that the fire department doesn't have to keep showing up here every few hours.  Not that that's the worst thing in the world.
Right.  So that was today.
Did I mention today was fun?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, god - Eternal Flame and Sarah McLachlan? All I see in my head when I hear McLachlan's music is abused dogs and starving kids - and all of them are asking me for money. I like donating to worthy causes, but I hate being guilted into it by whiny sad-bastard music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go Renee. Now all the dogs are going to die! And... go to the arms of an angel. :P

      Delete
  2. I miss my Shuffle :( We have to call the EMS at least once a month at the school. This week the regular Fire House (super hot guys) was out on a call so the next closest was sent. They were older and fatter than our neighborhood EMS. Bummer. We talked about sending them away but the kid was really sick and had to go to Children's Hospital. I agree with Renee, don't guilt me into donating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno what it is about our firemen, but Michael kept snapping his fingers and saying "over here!".

    ReplyDelete