Monday, August 3, 2015

I sleep in my bed. Sometimes.

I am currently in Seattle with Michael.  He has a course today at Amazon, so we decided to make a weekend out of it.
I must say it's been a while since we've been here and things have changed a lot.  Seattle is changing in a way that - if they keep it up - it would be a place that would deliberately come down to to visit, instead of it just being a stopover on the way to Portland.
We are staying in the South Lake Union area which we've never done before and it's been an interesting education on how this area totally screwed up their waterfront and made it utterly in accessible to anyone except for boaters.
The abortion that is the waterfront near the piers downtown Seattle is actually getting torn down.  I do so love when freeways run right next to waterfronts a la Toronto water font.  I know the Big Dig in Boston cost a ton of money, but is not the city better for it?  Just don't even get me started on urban planning and our car dominated society.  Truly.  It's incredible that Seattle is taking that structure down and realizing it for the abomination that it is.
We arrived early Saturday and couldn't check in, and so had a nice lunch at Duke's.  Then we took a cruise of the Seattle Harbour and wandered around a bit.
Today we went to the Chihuly museum which was absolutely phenomenal and I highly recommend it to anyone that is visiting Seattle: totally worth the price of entry.  Hit REI.  Braved the Pike Place Market, did a little shopping, hit a faux dive bar and are winding down for the night.
It's currently "Sea Fest" here, which we didn't know, so it's busy like crazy and there are also huge, huge cruise ships in town so it's a busy place to be.  Part of Sea Fest is an air show so the Blue Angels have been roaring overhead the last couple of days which has been quite fascinating and slightly scary to see.
Now Michael is off to his course and I have stolen all I can from the buffet breakfast, so I am going to attempt a 10k around Lake Union.
So chubby.
How am I ever going to get to Whistler in September...

No comments:

Post a Comment