Thursday, July 23, 2015

Tomorrow is Friday. All day.

At the 8k mark.  Starting to rethink things...
Was up in Penticton with Michael visiting the in-laws last week.  I like Penticton.  I would like to live there.  Less traffic, less assholes, more wine.  All good things.
Michael killed it on the Gran Fondo, shaving almost half an hour off of his time last year, and rolling in maybe 12 or 15 minutes after his best friend forever: Trevor Linden.  Ah, Trevor.  Remember when I was going to marry him, or possibly Kirk McLean?  I do.  Good times.
Came back last Friday and then we did the Langley race (me doing the Medio, Michael doing the Century distance).  It was my first bike race on a road bike and I shaved 20 minutes off of last year's time but still stopped at every aid station because I haven't mastered getting my water bottle out of the holder without crashing my bike yet.  I'm still way, way less accomplished on the bike compared to running which is funny because running is really hard, but when you think about it you don't really have to pedal that hard if you don't want to when you're riding.  I'm really lazy on the bike.  You can't be lazy when you run: you are either running or standing still, there's no "coasting".
A PB for me.  1:13 is now the time to beat.
To solve the laziness problem (and to prepare for the Whistler Gran Fondo) Michael and I rode up Seymour Mountain after work.  That was interesting.  Nothing like riding 12.5 kilometres up a switch-backed road for over an hour.  Jesus.  An hour and 13 minutes to get to the top.  20 minutes to come down.  I didn't love the downhill.  Even though I put on arm warmers and a jersey at the top I was still freezing my tits off by the time I got down (at times hitting over 50k an hour).  I'd rather just do the climb and not the descent, though I'm sure I'm in the minority in that regard.  Anyways, it was my first time doing it and I was pretty proud of myself (and I was the only woman out there), and Michael was pleasantly surprised with my time as well.
Saturday's training run is looking to be around 100k which I was thinking of bailing on, but we have to go to Seattle for the long weekend so we'll be missing that ride which means I gotta do it.  As we riders like to say "Fuck, my ass".  No seriously, we say that a lot.  What do you think you would say after four hours in the saddle?
And thus concludes my blog.
Happy weekend, everyone!  Remember to use butt butter to avoid chaffing!
Seriously.  It's a thing.

1 comment:

  1. I so admire you! I'm looking forward to the less assholes, less traffic and more wine thing myself. It's going to take me about 9 months though.

    ReplyDelete