Thursday, May 21, 2015

Our final jaunt around Nashborough (Part II)

The Ryman
Today we checked out the 12 South district of Nashville, and we learned that lo, there is a douchebag component to Nashville as well.  It was just like being home: a bunch of jerks on their laptops, all writing the next big thing at Frothy Monkey, followed by an ill-thought out trip into a "second hand" clothing shop (because we were freezing our tits off and we had pulled this off in NYC and D.C. to some great and cheap success) whereupon I found myself fingering a hideous but slightly avante gard light jacket for $140.  Are you fcking kidding me?  I'm cold: this is used, and I'm not stupid.  We decided to risk hypothermia.
The Union Hotel
Made it down to the Gulch. To put it into perspective, here is the write up of the Gulch and why I kind of wanted to go there.  Sounds kind of interesting?  Kind of high end?  Worth making the trip?  Dude: the place isn't even finished (like most of Nashville).  And it's like three by two blocks worth of stuff.  I give massive kudos to whoever it is that promotes Nashville because they make it seem like these areas are big and cool and worth going to, but they are all fledgling.
No harm, no foul: my bad for not researching it more (and for being accustomed to big US cities), but damn: Portland has more going on than this city.
I don't want this to end on a sour note: the hospitality here has been above anything that I have ever encountered in Vancouver.  And Nashville is building like crazy: it's a city in flux.  I think it has a lot of potential.  I think Vancouver once had a lot of potential.  And I hope Nashville doesn't make the same mistakes that we did.
Even Michael had said he wouldn't mind coming back here in five or ten years to see how it all played out.  There is a massive opportunity do do something great here.  It's a very interesting place.

No comments:

Post a Comment