Saturday, December 13, 2014

A fun day

Today I got up at 7am like I do most days and was on the road by 8am.  Like most days.  Unfortunately I didn't know that there was a car on fire on the IMB because I listen to our national radio station, CBC (even after the Ghomeshi thing!), so when I came to a full stop on the low road and traffic didn't move at all for ten minutes I turned into a local station that advised all Second Narrows drivers to head on over to the Lions Gate.
My commute in the morning is 90% of the time under 30 minutes.  I would go so far as to say that 75% of the time it's about 25 minutes.
Today, I had to drive across North Van, take the Lions Gate,  then drive back across Vancouver proper during rush hour to get to my work place in Burnaby.  It took me an hour and a half. 
I live ten miles from my work place.
So that was the start of my day.  I was an hour late and docked an hour's pay.  It digressed from there.
I recouped.
I did buy a bottle of wine on the way home, but when I did get home?  The first thing I did was put on my running gear and run four miles at an 8.21 pace.
Then I got into the wine.
Michael came home and we went for sushi which was a nice precursor to seeing "Birdman".
I wanted to see "Birdman" from the moment I saw the trailers, and I hate going to see movies.  I never see movies in the theatre because it's a hassle and I hate people.
Dude: there are two movies in my life that I thought were the end all and be all and they are "The Big Lebowski" and "My Dinner With Andre". 
Add a third to that list: "Birdman".  This movie blew my mind on so many levels that I will be buying it so I can re-watch it to catch all the things that I missed tonight.  It was spectacular.  The cast, the acting?  All stellar, but secondary to the super nuanced plot that just seemed so fitting for (a one time Batman) Michael Keaton.
The music, cinematography, imagery, references, acting.... all brilliant.  I can't recall the last time I was this excited, moved, inspired and intrigued by a movie.  If you want to watch a movie about a has-been who is trying to make a comeback after being typecast, while still trying to earn the love of his daughter, his fans, while fighting off potential usurpers, which quasi-parallels Michael Keaton's real life this is something to see.
So.  That was a rather nice end to an otherwise abysmal day.
Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment