Monday, September 22, 2014

I need to be nicer to people

So Friday we packed up early and headed over to Yellow Point Lodge.  The point of us going there was twofold: to hold a reservation that Michael's brother and his wife have had for fourteen years; and to use a gift certificate that we got for the monumental event that was our marriage.  Apparently, couples come here year after year on the same weekend and get to know the same people, and when you check out, you reserve that same spot for the next year.  I had been warned by my aunt that getting into this place was going to be difficult, so the timing of my brother in law's opting out was kind of awesome.
The property itself is absolutely spectacular, and I say this growing up with a house on the water on a Gulf Island.  Plus: we had kick ass weather this weekend.
We were a bit early for check in, and so we took our bikes off the car and cycled down to the Crow and Gate which had some great reviews and which we really enjoyed (once we figured out it was a proper British pub what with the ordering and whatnot) and we were able to sit out in the garden which was so nice.
Slightly drunken bike ride back to the lodge later, I was a bit fatigued and slept for a bit, almost missing dinner at the lodge which is at a set time (as is breakfast and lunch).  We rolled in and made it, and met another couple that recognized Michael immediately (as the younger, hotter version of his brother) and they more or less adopted us for the weekend.  They were super nice and friendly and open and gregarious but god Jesus, it was overwhelming.
I think I'm a good conversationalist, and somehow I think that this makes me "social".  Anyone can feel free to interject if I'm a good conversationalist or not, but I am sure as shit not social, which I discovered this weekend.
The meals are all communal, so you sit at a table with like 8 or 10 other people and... you talk.  And people actually, really want to know about you.  And it's strange.  I've had some very incredible life experiences, but I've found on the most part that people really don't seem to give a shit, so when I am asked about things I find that I give a very succinct and synopsized version of things as not to bore them.
Apropos of nothing: there was live music there and it was FANTASTIC.  The next morning we overheard one of the regulars saying that it was one of the best sets they'd ever heard there: and seriously, the group of people that come to play there are really, really amazing.  Both Michael and I felt compelled to move over to that area but we were bogged down with the talking with the people.
Ironically, I find people telling me the minutiae of their weekends (not to mention intimate details that I would never want to know) incredibly willingly, rather odd, so I'm not sure what to make of that.  Should I blather more?  This whole social thing really has me stymied.
Penultimately: when people ask how you are or how your weekend was, do they really want to know?
The next day was hilarious: we showed up for breakfast and there was fruit and porridge, cereal and muffins, coffee juice and so I helped myself to some porridge and juice and we grabbed a table.  Ten minutes later a server came by and asked us what we wanted for breakfast.  I thought I had just had breakfast, but no, there was more.  So, so much more.  I ended up having an eggs benny thing on TOP of the porridge, juice and coffee.
Like, what?  I am still full from this weekend.
From there we did some disappointing biking around the Kinsol Trestle (my stupid idea), hit up Merridale Cider for lunch and then had a crazy stupid dinner back at the lodge with more talking and eating and drinking.
I forgot to mention our cabin: it was stupendous.  It was perched on the edge of a cliff with views for miles and it was so quiet that I slept like the goddamn dead.  There are no lights out there, so we could see all the stars and it was quite possibly the most restful two night's sleep I've had since Whistler.
First World problems.
Okay, from there we drove to Victoria and did some random biking there and discovered Oak Bay, which is totally awesome but also rather expensive (but still less expensive than Vancouver!).  I love Island life!  I love the vibe there and the cycling and the marathons and the water and the pace.
Anyways, to round the whole thing out I'm cat sitting for ten days in Vancouver and I've really not been home a lot this month, but having a bunch of experiences makes living out of a suitcase worth it.
Had a great seawall run this afternoon, and then dinner with C where we saw someone get arrested in the restaurant we were having dinner in.
Oh, Vancouver.  I love you, but in so many ways you suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment