Tuesday, April 22, 2014

When you don't work, you can afford the time to get really invested in hockey.

Have heard nothing back from my doctor about my heart.  Likely because they have discovered I don't have one, but even more likely that it was because my heart didn't do that weird palpitation thing while I had to wear the monitors, naturally.  We'll see what shakes out, but mostly I just want to put off whatever undiagnosed health problems I have until after our epic, expensive and time consuming wedding.
Went for a great Easter dinner at my brother and Andrea's on Sunday night.  She made "ice cream" out of bananas.  All it was was frozen bananas, pureed.  It tasted like banana ice cream.  It was nuts.  I'm all over this.  And she also made quinoa chocolate cake, which was fantastic.  But I have to get on this faux ice cream thing.
Today I met a friend for lunch in Chinatown at Harvest Community Foods.  I like the community based aspect of it, and the space was very groovy and it could have been Portland or some jammed space in NYC, but it wasn't blow my mind spectacular.  I mean, I suppose most meals that you have for $10 are never going to be, but unless I'm back in the area again I'm not sure I'd make the effort to get there from North Van.  That said, props for being healthy and community minded, and their free range meat prices were surprisingly normal.  Plus it was a beautifully sunny afternoon so I could see the allure of their outside tables.  And the service was good.
Because it was such a great day I decided to walk home.  Walking through downtown is always fun.  Today I discovered that d/t people have decided to spice up their suits by wearing funky socks.  I also discovered that people still wear suits.  Who knew? 
More importantly: there are now food trucks!  There was one at Granville and Pender selling hamburgers for $2.85.  How can a hamburger be $2.85?  If I hadn't have been so stuffed full of noodles I might have deigned to find out.
So the walk home... I used to run home occasionally when I worked downtown.  Took me about an hour.  Like when I discovered that cycling was at least twice as fast as running and so then thought running was stupid?  Walking is really time consuming.  It reminded me of Anchorman when Ron Burgundy buys some milk and starts drinking it as he walks along the sidewalk in San Diego on a sweltering hot day and says "Milk was a BAD choice".  Yeah.  It was kind of like that.
On the plus side: suck it, Detroit.  See ya, Tampa Bay (suh-weep!).  And I better get back to the Kings and San Jose game.


4 comments:

  1. Get yourself a vitamix, you won't regret.

    Good luck with the heart thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, the delightful Holter monitor. For those of us with hairy chests, a nightmare. I swear every tech who's put Holter leads on me has taken sadistic delight in ensuring the wiring is held to my chest with miles of tape, strategically placed to capture as many hairs as possible, making removal of said tape an adventure in expletives. And speaking of bananas (hey, wait, what? . . .) I have a decadently fantastic recipe for banana sherbet, involving cream, which pretty much means I can't eat it anymore. Pity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine that if I were to add a wee bit of cream to the frozen banana that it would be the end of the world? As it is, we're supposed to be drinking homo milk versus 1%, aren't we? At least that's the headline that I chose to glean (and not follow up on)...

    ReplyDelete