Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The pitter patter of (my) little feet

Did a bit of a road trip last week.  R booked a couple of days off work and we headed to Courtenay and Comox which I had always wanted to check out.  I'm not sure if, living in Metro Vancouver, I forget that not every town in BC is huge and congested, because Courtenay and Comox really are small.
It was a pretty drive up, though: we took the scenic route through Qualicum and passed tiny little communities along the coast line.  Everyone was friendly and the pace - as always - is so much more relaxed on the Island.
Heading back down Island we stopped in Ladysmith for coffee, drove through Chemainus, tried to go to Cowichan Bay but there was absolutely no parking (we couldn't figure out what was going on) so we forged ahead to Merridale Cidery where we did a tasting, decided we liked cider, and then had a nice lunch at their bistro.
Next we checked out the Kinsol Trestle which is protected by free range chickens (true story).  It was a nice rebuild and a nice spot along the Trans Canada Trail, but I couldn't help compare it to the Myra Canyon Trestles that I visited after I graduated high school with some friends.  That was a lot of trestles and I got blisters in very special places (also a true story!).
The next day we went into Victoria to find that the motel we were staying at was essentially the start line of the Times Colomnist 10k and half marathon the next day.  Whoops.  I only almost killed one runner when we were leaving the next day, so that wasn't too bad.
We wandered over to Spinnakers and had a great meal and a couple of beers there, and then met up with my cousin and her friends for a few hours before heading to the Bard and Banker which I normally love, but we didn't get great seats and the love music hadn't started yet so it wasn't as fun as I had hoped it would be, but we still managed to entertain ourselves by somehow getting lost on the way back to the hotel which was unsurprising given our utter lack of a sense of direction, collectively.
Home at a decent time the next day, and it appears we brought some decent weather with us.
Just got back from a rather random 20 kilometre run.  It was an out and back.  It's never fun when you get to the 10k turnaround point, realize you've bit off more than you can chew, and your only option out is to run another 10k to get back to your car.  On the plus side I got a thumbs up, a "nice pace" and lots of smiles from all the Mamils out there, which did certainly spur me on.

4 comments:

  1. I am still craving more Spinnakers pizza - that stuff was great. And more cider - I'm nearly out of Merry Berry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one more bottle of Merri Berri (spelled it wrong in that last comment) - and then I'm all out. So....roadtrip??

    ReplyDelete