Sunday, July 23, 2017

Quebec City: Day 2

Today we had breakfast in our suite before heading out to check out the old city.
Old Quebec is an UNESCO world heritage site. Taking a bit of a roundabout way to get to the fortified city, we first came across Martello Tower 4, which we couldn't get into, unfortunately.
We wandered into the Chateau Frontenac and around the Citadel, Place Royale, had an ice cream overlooking the Plains of Abraham and then took the funicular back down to see Rue du Petit-Champlain which has been called Canada's most beautiful street. It certainly was one of its most busiest streets.
After meandering up and down the old city and taking in the sites we tried to think of a neat place to go to dinner and ended up getting the last table available for the six o'clock seating at L'affaire est Ketchup. We figured if it was good enough for Anthony Bourdain, it should be good enough for us.
We rarely, if ever, go out for expensive meals and we wanted to try some different food, so for appetizers we ordered a scallop ceviche, and a potato and smoked fish salad. For our main course Michael ordered venison and I ordered lamb shank. I don't think I have ever lamb shank in my life. The ceviche was outstanding, but the potato salad was a bit fishier than I would have liked, though I think that was because they used mackerel which I believe is a fishy fish. The lamb shank fell off the bone when I touched it lightly with my fork. It was laid on some lentils with a few vegetables. Though it was moist and rich, I didn't think it was that flavourful so I was a less impressed with mine than I was with Michael's venison which was very tasty, not gamey at all and cooked perfectly.
For dessert we had "Cheesy Susan" cake with a burnt scotch icing and some rhubarb compote. It was out of this world.
Dinner came to $120 and for drinks we had club soda, tea and coffee. It was a different experience and we were lucky to simply get in as they only seat twenty at a time. The service was great and I would try it again if I came back, but we have got another list of great restaurants to try - and so many of them are actually on our street!
People have been very friendly here, but English is less prevalent than it was when I was in Montreal a few years ago.
Tomorrow is shaping up to be a nice day so we are thinking of renting bikes and riding along the St. Lawrence.

No comments:

Post a Comment