Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Literate? Got a family?

Then you need to read The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. 
It's a long book.  It'll take some time, but you will enjoy every page of it.  It maybe could have been pared down a little better, but I'm glad it wasn't.  If this book had been a thousand pages, I still would have been disappointed when it came to a close.
There has to be something in this book for everyone.  Every character is multi-faceted to start with, and they also change so there are a myriad of emotionally raw situations and feelings that you can choose to identify with.
I don't what else to say other than that.  It's honest, tragic, funny, relateable, embarrassing and anxious.  It confronts ugly truths and it is an external interloper, peering into our living room windows and shining a light on what it is to have a family.
The Corrections is singly the most human and honest book I have ever read. 

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good book - lots of interesting dysfunction and craziness. It has a really good rating on Goodreads, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that kind of book. The kind you can't put down when you're cooking dinner or doing the dishes after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. It's not often that I am "wowed" by a book, but I was definitely impressed by this one!

    ReplyDelete