Friday, May 8, 2015

VACAY!

Me and my bro.  When we used to be cute.
How did I go from blogging so frequently to simply forgetting I have a blog?  Yowsa.
Quick update on all the things in my life: work is still weird; the work on my building still isn't completely done (though it's very close, and the almost finished product looks great); Felix is seeming to be on his last legs; another round of layoffs at Michael's work; Michael ran the BMO marathon on Sunday in 3:22; and apparently I have a Medio Fondo and a Gran Fondo to do in two and four months, respectively.  Oh: and I never drive my car anymore.
dadbods?  Really?
Felix makes me sad.  He's been with us for 18 years, we estimate.  I don't like cats, but he's been one of the more memorable pets we've ever had, and I love him lots.  It make me very sad to think he might be in pain or discomfort, and it stresses me out that animals can't communicate this to us.  I will miss him a lot when he's gone, and I hope when I saw him on Monday it wasn't the last time.
In other news, we're flying out to Charleston, South Carolina tomorrow morning (via Chicago).  Apparently there is some sort of tropical storm happening there now, so that kicks ass.  I hope our plane lands in Charleston (and in more ways that simply not wanting to be diverted...)
Should be a kick ass trip to mark our one year anniversary.  Charleston, Savannah and Nashville: certainly one of the more unique trips we've taken.  The last one that was that much fun (bombing aside), was our Boston, New York, D.C., Philadelphia trip.  I couldn't believe what a foodie city Philly was, and Georgetown in Washington was something to behold.  Black Escalades everywhere, baby.  #HOC
Definitely looking forward to the next couple of weeks.  It's been a stressful last few weeks and Michael and I are always keen to check out new places.
Hopefully it'll be a smooth commute tomorrow.
Did I mention VACAY???

5 comments:

  1. AWESOME! Savannah is BEAUTIFUL! I wish that I could remember the name of the place that we ate breakfast at every day, I've been wracking my brain. It's an old gas station and they roll up the bay doors. Just ask someone local like a waiter, they will know. Be sure to eat grits. Grits are gooooood for ya! If you think you should go to Paula Dean's place for Mac-n-cheese, don't bother. Mine is better, just come here. Go to her brother's place out toward the beach, it's better and doesn't have an 8 hour wait line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! We're finally here in Charleston, and will be in Savannah in a few days.
    I gotta ask: what are grits? I've gotten varying answers from people that I've asked and I don't want to ruin the mystique by Googling it. I want to be pleasantly surprised: like I was with collard greens in Philly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grits are ground hominy. Some people call them hominy grits. What is hominy? Have you ever eaten Korn Nuts? Those are hominy. It's whole corn kernels that have been soaked in an alkali of some sort. In the old days they'd use lye. The alkali causes the dried corn kernel to puff up, then it's dried again and then ground, pretty coarse. Then you cook the grits like you would rice. It's really good with butter for breakfast or mixed with cheese to make it really stiff and baked like a souffle. CHEESE GRITS! It's a real Southern thing. Makes me hungry just to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Collard greens (Collards as my dad called them) are awesome!!! Really good with grits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have tried the cheese grits. The regular grits are good, but a little plain.
    I gotta learn how to make collard greens. :)

    ReplyDelete