Saturday, January 17, 2015

First world problems

Blah blah blah, my job.  Blah blah blah,  running clinic.
So Charlie Hebdo, Boko Haram and it's been the warmest year on record.
Like, what am I supposed to say?
There's nothing to say.  I go to my stupid job and do my irrelevant work (which actually isn't all that irrelevant because I have met some of our members and some of them are really quite nice and I like to think that we're doing them a solid by representing them), and I come home and I work out and make lunches and dinners, but mostly I just want to be with Michael.
It's stupid.  Life can be surprisingly short and you don't know what tomorrow brings and in that vein I just want to spend as much time with Michael as I can.  I wake up in the middle of the night and roll over to hold him.  He does the same to me.  We're happy just sitting together on the couch watching bullshit television.
What if I'd never met him?
Before I met Michael I was with Rob.  We talked about marriage.  MARRIAGE.  I didn't know any better.  I thought that not being unhappy was maybe the status quo.  Oh my god.  Not to disparage Rob, but holy Christ: I would have walked off a balcony by now.
I didn't choose my family, but I love them.  I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful mom and dad and brother.  And I love my sister in law and I love the wee baby Declan.  I know I'm lucky in that regard, because you don't choose your family.  But you choose who you allow into your life, and insofar as that is concerned?  Man did I ever luck out.  I am a cataclysmic, spastic moron.  And yet I somehow landed my wonderful husband, and some quality friends to boot.
Michael often says "I love you so much" and I say "why?" and he can't answer.
And I really don't blame him.
But, moreover, this post is about a very stupid thing that occurred that I'm trying to make sense of.
I have an Air Miles card.  I get points when I shop.  I guess at some point they changed it so that you could either earn points towards flights and hotels, versus gift cards to restaurants and clothing shops and the like (which is what I always cashed them in for).
Anyways, I logged on to my Air Miles account the other day and found out about this change, and that they had slated me for the literal air miles portion of the deal.  I had a fuck ton of  points, but not enough to actually go anywhere or do anything, and so I ended up cashing in most of my points for a wallet.
Oh: but it's not just any wallet!  It's a Dooney and Bourke wallet.  And it's beautiful.  The retail on this wallet (wallet: not purse!) is $158.
Basically, my wallet is worth more than what is in it.  How does that work?
I have a wallet worth two weeks' groceries.  I have a wallet that people will make funny noises at when they see the logo.  Is it really surprising that the West is under attack? 
Let's have ten seconds of zen right now.
Where is the world going?

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! Nice post, especially the family/husband part. Hope yours will last as long as mine has. I changed my card from a travel miles to a cash back. Every few months I get $150, and with the kids living in state it made more sense. I know someone who jinxed herself by buying a Louis Vitton wallet. She never seemed to have any money to put in it and had $2000 in debt because of the Nieman's card that was opened when she bought it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cash back is definitely the way to go. I'm glad I've subsequently changed over, but I this wallet! I can't believe it. And the whole handbag thing: so strange.

    Happy New Year to you and your husband as well. I hope you guys have a great year!

    ReplyDelete