Sunday, October 26, 2014

Jian Ghomeshi. Whaaa??

Another great weekend.
Took it easy Friday night (and watched the Canucks take a beating).  Saturday I met up with my mom for a little shopping at Capilano Mall which, for a super sad mall, was incredibly busy because... it was raining?  I don't know.  Then we went for dinner just up the street and got caught up in a total deluge.
That was okay though, because today it was sunny!  We've had such a great fall so far.  Taking advantage of the great weather we ended up going for a 40 kilometre bike and checked out the new Powell Street bike lane which ends rather abruptly at Clark Drive.
The more interesting part of our ride was getting a bit lost and ending up in Railtown.  I was born in Vancouver and I've lived here all my life and I've never been to Railtown.  It was a bit sketchy and you wouldn't want to go there at night, but it was so cool.  Like, Portland cool.  Like,Tribeca cool.  It was edgy and indie and emerging and had some really funky shops.  I would actually like to go back there and check it out more thoroughly, before the Starbucks start popping up and Bob Rennie gets his hands on it.
Stopped in for a bite and a break at the Union Market, which I've plugged before and I will continue to plug because I got a veggie samosa and a club soda for about $3.50.  What?  I love that place, except the last couple of times we went we didn't get a seat so we ended up sitting in a nearby park (oh, woe is me).
In other news, Michael and I are bandying about the idea of a trip to the south east US.  We'd like to check out Nashville, Charleston and Savannah, though I'm not sure we can do all three logistically and economically.  I'm hoping we can go this spring.
And, because I have nothing else to do because Michael is out watching "Fury" and I'm incapable of entertaining myself, what the hell is with CBC and Jian Ghomeshi?  I don't have both sides of the story.  I assume that, from his Facebook post, he has been forthright with CBC management.  So why then should he lose his job because of "the risk of the perception that may come from a story that could come out?".  A comment on his Facebook page brought up Toronto's fine mayor Rob Ford.  How does he keep his GOVERNMENT JOB after he's been shown smoking crack and being drunk in public?
For me, this opens up a huge conversation about the employee/employer relationship, and the boundaries of public versus private life.  At what point should an employer be able to terminate an employee for conduct outside of work?  What gives an employer the right to make a moral judgement on their employee?  And is terminating someone's employment the best option to "teach them a lesson"?  I'm going to guess that if someone's behaviour outside of their place of employment is so abhorrent, they might actually need help, not unemployment.
To take a rather dark turn, I'll bring up Ray Rice.  Everyone has seen the video of him cold cocking his then fiance in the elevator, and then nonplussed, unceremoniously dragging her out.  Classy.  Violence against women is wrong.  What Ray Rice did was both shocking and totally disgusting.  But it didn't happen at work, and the woman that he punched in the face married him the day after a grand jury indicted him on third degree aggravated assault.  Buddy has rage issues, is possibly on steroids and gets paid (lots) to get big and strong and participate in a violent sport for a living.  I'm sure now that he's unemployed his relationship with his wife is fantastic.
I really can't wrap my head around this whole thing.  What if I am a stellar performer at work, but I'm a white supremacist in my off time?    What if I'm a life saving surgeon, but I kick my dog every day when I come home?  Remember Eliot Spitzer?  Per Wiki, he "launched the investigation that brought down the Gambino crime family's control over Manhattan's garment and trucking industries" and "prosecuted cases relating to corporate white collar crime, securities fraud, internet fraud and environmental protection".  But he got busted with hookers and lost his job.
Right.  I really have no idea how to wrap this up, so here is a funny video.  I hope Michael is enjoying "Furry".


3 comments:

  1. If you get to Savannah, Ga., I heartily recommend heading towards Tybee Island, for dinner at the Crab Shack. Heck, stay on Tybee; there are some great places there. Went on St. Patrick's Day a couple of years back; the entire town shuts down for the parade. Great fun. Great eating spots. Savannah apparently is big on St. Pat's too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Did you visit any other areas around Savannah when you were down there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Around Savannah, no. We were only there a couple of days, so walked Tybee and the historical district of Savannah. In Savannah, that's West and East River St., then up from the river and into the old xxx-slept-here area, then into the Colonial Cemetery. Ate on River at the Shrimp Factory, one of many places to choose from.

    ReplyDelete