Monday, July 28, 2014

Oh god Jesus, please give me more Downton Abbey

This show is rather addictive.  I cannot BELIEVE people lived like this in the early 1900s.  Still I can't believe that people live even more extravagantly than this currently, when the disparity between rich and poor is reaching epic levels.
I don't like Microsoft, but I respect Bill Gates (and Warren Buffett).
How much does one need?  I'd absolutely like a second bedroom, but my lifestyle compared to most people's is ridiculous: I've taken a year off; I've traveled Europe; I've gotten married.  I have a dishwasher and a television and a car.  I travel whenever I wish.  I have my health and the best possible husband one could imagine.  How do people that have infinitely more than I do not feel compelled to give back?
Regardless: I suppose it's all still changing.
I know work in a place where my word is taken seriously and it's very equal opportunity.  I've never had that before.
Sometimes I decry my job because it's very generous, but then I think it ought to be.  The 1% aren't often very kind, and so let us gather the roses while we may.
That said, I've been called as a perspective juror starting early September.  The pay is $20 a day for the first ten days, and then $60 a day up until almost 60 days.
Really?
Makes me wonder who sits in the juror box.

2 comments:

  1. A close family member and his daughter recently became VERY wealthy after the death of his daughter's maternal grandfather. It has opened up a lot of stresses for them and yet they fell into that not needing to work part of it quiet nicely. I think it would be nice to travel when you want and have the time and funds to be creative and have a job that is more like a hobby, but I would have to stay busy doing something. Otherwise you'd just sit around watching TV or going to mall buying shit you don't need. I think having little to no money is so much easier. Back in the day, I remember making little tic marks on my grocery list for every 50 cents to a dollar so that I'd know not to go over the cash in my pocket. When you're poor you have to be creative.

    $20 a day! I think we get like $6.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Money is a funny thing.
    And I agree with the staying busy aspect. I screwed the pooch a bit too much in my year off and was disappointed to find that that was part of my personality.
    Are you serious about the $6 a day for jury duty? That's nuts! Who could afford that? Who makes $6 a day? Even my local busker is more accomplished than that!

    ReplyDelete