Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The thing about 23 milers...

... is that they tend to be 23 miles long.
C bugged me today about my whole use of the Imperial system versus the metric.  I'm not sure why my clinic does things in miles and not kilometres except to say that saying I have to run 23 miles this Sunday is somehow more palatable than saying that I have to run 37 kilometres.  A marathon is 42.2 kilometres.  You do the math (British or otherwise).
Anyways, at this stage in my training I'm always trying to prop myself up mentally like boxers and goalies do before a game.  A lot of it is mental.  I wore my Boston technical shirt for a long run the other day, and my Boston pullover post-run for the 21 miler I did 1.5 weeks ago.  I psyche myself up thinking about giving people high fives when I run past.  Right on Hereford, left on Boylston.  I might put my name on my shirt this year for the 500,000 people that I am going to run past, because for some reason they like to scream your name.  Maybe I'll kiss a Wellesley girl.  I'm going to try to pay more attention to the people handing out beer.  I've yet to have beer during a race.
I recently emailed R these two Boston videos.  She replied that she knew that I was passionate about running, but that she really didn't get the whole "Boston thing" until she watched them.  It's Boston, man.
So here are a couple of videos about Boston. One is sort of a very brief highlight reel, with some good and some bad endings, and the other is a very abbreviated route of the Boston marathon (I will interject here that the music in this video is quite horrific, so if you want to listen to something inspirational and upbeat - and which is one of the songs that is heavily rotated on my running playlist - you should listen to Ganga Giri's "Culture", Cat Power's "Nothing but Time", Snow Patrol's "Just Say Yes", Cornershop's "Brimful of Asha", Azealia Banks' "212", "Madness" by Muse, or Daft Punk's "Rollin' & Scratchin'".  Joel Plaskett Emergency's "Nowhere with You" works very well also).
I know you care about this the way that I care about which wine I pair with my cheese (box wine and Cheeze Whiz, naturally).
Anyways, I don't often give myself a lot of accolades for anything (fundamentally because I don't ever do anything of any importance), but Boston's big.
Sucks to be you, but from now until April 15th I'm essentially going to be blogging about my 10th (and most likely last) marathon, which is one of the world majors (of which I've now run two).
Hey - do you remember the female winner of the Edge to Edge marathon in 2011?
I do.
 

4 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you - and I'm not going or running! Still, I'll be cheering for you here in North Van. Maybe I can stream some live coverage that day and see if I can pick you out (small chance of that given the sheer volume of people, but it would still be fun to watch!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think the BAA will be streaming it on their site. And probably major news channels will be following the leaders since they're always amazing to watch (they can do it in slightly over 2 hours).

      Delete
  2. OMG that route is crazy long!!! I so admire you and Michael for being able to run something like this. Renee and I will both be sitting around drinking wine and cheering you on. If you do see a stationary camera on a pole wave at it, we could be watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wave at all cameras: the hidden cameras in department store dressing rooms; the cameras wielded by 56 year old men under the stairs hoping for some panty action; family photos; traffic cams.
      Yeah. You'll see me. ;)

      Delete